Wednesday, January 4, 2012

REVIEW: The Great Derangement (Matt Taibbi)

The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics, and Religion at the Twilight of the American EmpireThe Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics, and Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire by Matt Taibbi

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Ok, so now I have a small crush on Matt Taibbi.

This book was hilarious. I suppose I had heard of Taibbi before--I'm a bit of a political junkie--but this is his first book I've read. He conveyed a great voice, with sarcasm (and scorn) but also sympathy (and pathos) for those who might at first blush seem the least deserving of either.

The book is a bit too anecdotal, it might have been nice to have a more chronological account of his adventures (I wouldn't have minded spending more time listening to his stories); I wondered at his globetrotting in a few places and how he managed his various subterfuges (he hints at problems arising from his various facades but doesn't elaborate much). This was definitely the highlights.

Recommended, especially for those to whom little (or nothing) is sacred. I mean that in a good way.



View all my reviews

No comments: